So, I'm taking my second Early Childhood Administration class this semester and one of the assignments was to write out our own professional development plans. Initially my plan was to write out some randomness, to get my A. However, when I started writing, I actually began to THINK about all of it. It really made me think! I mean, before now, I knew what I wanted for the near future (you know the next 6 months to a year)but I hadn't looked 5 to 10 years ahead. The thought of LOOKING that far into my career, hadn't crossed my mind. Sad, isn't it? Other desires (a husband and children) were dominating my thoughts. Of course, I knew my career was apart of grand picture, but it was the farthest thing from my mind! This assignment really made me look at my life, change my perspective, and my priorities! I even surprised MYSELF! Here's what I came up with!
Short Term Goals (0-5 years)
- I will obtain and sustain a managerial position in a child care facility. (i.e. Director, Assitant Director, Program Specialist/ Coordinator)
- I will began a M. Ed. Program, with a focus on Administration.
- I will research child literacy in North Carolina.
- I will get involved with a local literacy program, that specifically focuses on building and strengthening children's reading skills.
- I will began making plans for my financial stability upon retirement.
- I will earn my M. Ed. at an accredited university.
- I will obtain and sustain a corporate position in a child care corporation or franchise.
- I will be an active advocate of children’s literacy
- I will have definite place for my financial stability upon my retirement.
Now.....watch me work!

3 comments:
While your career and financial goals are absolutely wonderful, and I have no doubt that you will achieve them, tell me this:
You mentioned a husband and children but you neglected to insert them within this 10 year plan. Does that mean you have no plans on gettin' down wit tha get down until after the next 10 years. Your eggs might me all dried up and dilapidated by then. lol Heck! You know I'm clocking mine now. roflmbo
Love ya!
Who cares about titles anyway?
So, I noticed after the fact (and after you mentioned it) that this posting was to be about your professional development not your personal development.
Ideally, I would retract what I said previously in regards to the 'family thing' but I'm not going to, 'cause that's just not me. I still meant what I said. Perhaps you'll save that posting for another day.
Post a Comment