2 Corinthians 9:10
(Contemporary English Version)
"...In the same way, he will provide and increase your resources and then produce a great harvest of generosity in you."
A few weeks ago, an old friend of my family, lost her house to a fire. As far as I know, things are on the up and up with her, because of INSURANCE (do you have it??). Considering her recent plight, I didn't expect her to be writing me a letter (I havent' talked to her in years) AND sending me money... just because!
At first, I couldn't understand it, I called her crazy! I was happy to hear from her and thankful for the money--I DID need it--but I thought to myself, "if that were me, I would be keeping my money instead of giving it away to people, especially now." At that moment, I saw GOD, in her! He was using her!! Even in her time of need, she was able to be a blessing to someone else. This, alone, made me re-evaluate my relationship with God AND my maturity level and I've come to this conclusion: I have a lot of growing up to do. Through her simple act of kindness, God show me myself and gave me a model to follow. THAT is how I should be, as well.
Even as I'm typing this, I can think of plenty of times when I didn't give or do something, that would have blessed someone else, because I was being selfish. I wanted to make sure I had enough. I weighed the situation and decided that doing this wouldn't benefit me, but burden me instead. BUT! It isn't all about me! This life is not my own, Christ lives in me, and HE supplies all of my needs! I'm not even supposed to be worrying about that stuff, I'm not supposed to worry at all! Matthew 6:25.
So, from now one, when someone asks and I have it, no matter HOW MUCH it is, I will give it, knowing that God will give it back. Then, not only will He be providing for me; He'll be working through me to provide for that other person, as well.
WOW...

1 comments:
On that note can I borrow... no, no make that have a few hundred dollars then? It'll come back to you anyways, right. JK
I'm glad that this act of selfless generosity of another has given you a newfound enlightenment. Surely this act of kindness has just reiterated the principles that you've already been taught about giving, not being selfish, and keeping in mind the needs of others
During our darkest moments when we need Him most we should continue to give to others and give Him the glory. It's a wonderful time to exercise our faith, for without opportunities like these, how would our faith in our Savior grow stronger? When you think about it, it's a really great concept because you're then spending less time focusing and stressing over your own needs because you're thinking so much of others. There are times that I have given my last- literally- and oddly enough I've felt so wonderful, whole, and fulfilled; contrary to the view that a secular person may have.
Sometimes it's the smallest gestures that can have the greatest impact. I proud of you for this new step and heightened awareness in your life.
I will keep your friend in my prayers. May she be blessed abundantly during this challenging time in her life.
Post a Comment